Iguanas have become very popular pets in recent years. They can be very interesting and rewarding animals when kept correctly, however a large number are kept in poor conditions and subsequently suffer from a number of serious but preventable diseases.
They are a cold blooded species and require an external heat source to regulate their body temperature. They require ultraviolet light, i.e. sunlight to make Vitamin D, which is needed to make strong bones. Natural sunlight can be mimicked by a number of fluorescent tubes produced specifically for this purpose. A common household fluorescent tube or incandescent bulb is not sufficient. The following information is a useful guide on how to keep your Iguana.
Recommended Space Requirements:
- 1m cubed per 10cm of lizard.
- Iguanas are arboreal which means they enjoy climbing on branches so it is important that your vivarium provides enough height for them to do so.
- 29-35 Degrees Centigrade.
- 60-85% so a source of water is needed.
- Recommended to spray the vivarium daily.
- Essential heat source for basking in.
- Must be changed every 6months, as ultra-violet output declines significantly. Available from Pet shops.
Disinfectant for the Vivarium:
- Tamodine E (Vetark product) – available from us.
- It is important that a wide variety of food should be offered as it is the best way to prevent a vitamin/minerals deficiency. Iguanas are mainly fruit eaters, but insects and meat are important.
- Fruit and vegetables – Apples, lettuce (small amounts), dandelions, watercress, oranges, tomatoes, blackcurrants, clover.
- Meat based- Meal worms must be coated in vitamin supplement or fed a high quality diet for a few days.
- Crickets- Dust with supplement or fed a high quality diet for a few days.
- Earthworms- Dust with supplement.
- Commercial diets- pelleted diets are available from pet shops, as part of a balanced diet.
- Nutrobal (Vetark) available from us.
Some young Iguanas become ‘Fruit Addicts’ and it can be difficult to persuade them to eat anything else. Try to avoid this occurring in the first place by always offering meat-based products as well from a very young age.