Advice for Pet Owners

Paragon Veterinary Group is working with local florists to raise awareness of certain flowers that are potentially deadly to your pets.

Chief among them are lilies, which are deadly to cats. However, there are a whole range of plants that are dangerously toxic or can cause stomach upsets for many pets. 

This page offers more information to help ensure you keep your pets safe around plants and flowers.

Here are the flowers/plants that are poisonous to pets. Note that these are toxic, but there are others (not mentioned) that may cause stomach upsets.



Spot the symptoms


You may not always see your pet eating a poisonous plant, but there are signs you can keep an eye out, as they may point to a problem. Symptoms of plant toxicity or poisoning can include some or all of the following:

  • Low energy
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Blood in the poo
  • Drinking/peeing more
  • Pale gums
  • Twitching
  • Tremors/seizures (fits)
  • Struggling to breathe
  • Collapse
  • Drooling
  • Eating less/not eating

If you spot these signs or you have seen your pet ingest any of the flowers or plants mentioned in these lists, then please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Paragon at our Dalston practice on 01228 710208 or Newbiggin on 01768 483789.


Advice Sheets:

Transporting your cat to the vets

advice on minimising stress during taking your cat to the practice

Transporting your cat

advice on traveling with your pet cat

Transporting your rabbit

Advice on traveling with your rabbit