The equine in-patient facilities are at Townhead Farm near Penrith
A padded knockdown and recovery box
A permanent stocks with associated examination area
Seven stables including two large foaling boxes
20 acres of fenced paddocks
Digital radiography - Our modern CR X-ray system allows us to quickly produce high quality x-ray images which are viewed and stored digitally. We have 2 x-ray generators, a large in-house machine and a potable machine that can allow basic x-rays to be taken in the field.
Ultrasound scanning - We have scanners for both reproductive examination and scanning the musculoskeletal system. Ultrasound is an increasingly important tool in lameness examination and our small portable machine produces high quality images that can be stored digitally.
- Endoscopy - Our new video endoscope arrived in 2019 - this enables visualisation of the respiratory tract and tracheal wash aspirates to be performed; useful in the diagnosis of upper respiratory tract diseases.
- Gastroscopy - Our new gastroscope arrived at the end of 2019 - this enables us to view the stomach and check for Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome (EGUS)
- Heart monitoring and ecg - This machine is useful in the determination of any cardiac arrhythmias, and can be useful in assessment of 'poor performance' horses.
- Haematology and Biochemistry - This in-house machine allows quick determination of certain abnormalities associated with disease.
- Official 'Measurement Pad' - Allows accurate height determination for the Joint Measurement Board rules.